An original 1885 home of Aspen’s first confectioner is redefined as a two-building retreat that preserves town’s penchant for historic modern living.
Architect Michael Noda chose a redbrick base combined with wide-milled mahogany siding and expanses of multiple-pane, aluminum-framed windows for Jane and Greg Hill’s newly built contemporary residence.
Before Jane and Greg Hills of Austin Lawrence Partners (532 E. Hopkins Ave., 970-920-4988) ever imagined what the future might hold for the historic miner’s cottage they acquired with the former Berg Estate, they were consumed with its past. “We’d been intrigued by the old buildings and homes in Aspen since we moved here in ’94 and had restored and redeveloped several as well,” Jane relates. “The chance to preserve this one, on the corner of Hopkins and Spring, was irresistible.”
Built in 1885 at the height of the silver-mining era by Aspen’s first confectioner, Julius Berg, the little white clapboard cottage had traditional gabled rooflines and gingerbread trim. A shed in the alley out back had once housed a cow that Berg was rumored to have walked to town over Independence Pass. Numerous additions, including a white-picket fence at the 6,500-square-foot property’s edge, were made by the home’s more recent owner, Adam Walton. The Hills purchased the estate from Walton’s family after his death in 2009.